Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Isis - Not in Rivers, But in Drops EP (2008)

One of the more popular acts to originate in my neck of the woods, I've always had kind of mixed feelings on Isis. I thought their early material was plodding, boring, and extremely overrated metalcore. But I have enjoyed some of their later releases, their shift into a more experimental direction of post-rock and drone has opened up so many elements in their sound.

This new EP is a good example of the latter, and I'm happy to say I really enjoyed the title track. It's hooky, it flows so well together, from its dreamy opening to its rock out riffs and even the desolate growling which pops into the middle. There's also a live version of the track, which sounds okay but you'll be too engaged in the studio track to care. The other track here is a Thomas Dimuzio remix of "Holy Tears", and it too is a delight.

If you love Isis, you're in for a treat here. Both of the studio tracks are well worth hunting down and you'll listen to them repeatedly. Being not the biggest fan in the world, I still really enjoyed this. You also have to love that cover art, one of the most striking cover images I've seen in some time.

Verdict: Win [7/10]

http://www.isistheband.com

No comments: