Friday, November 7, 2008

I'm In a Coffin - One Final Action (2008)

My psychic powers told me this was going to be a very self-aware, tongue in cheek album of minimal, raw, suicidal, depressive black metal.

After I listened to the album, I have come to the conclusion this is a very self-aware, tongue in cheek album of minimal, raw, suicidal, depressive black metal.

Unfortunately it's not very good, especially when you compare it to similar bands like Make a Change...Kill Yourself. The vocals are pretty tortured sounding and suit the album well, the bass playing is kind of trippy, but the guitars are just really fucking boring, fuzzy garbage. I think if you took this dude's voice and put it on a better album you'd have something quite kick ass and disturbing, but here the music isn't helping and I didn't wind up feeling disturbed or depressed in the slightest. I just kept looking at my watch every few minutes until it was over.

I will point out that even through the bitter stings of irony like "Finally Happy", the band does err a little more on the serious side than just making fun of the genre. But it's hard not to laugh when you have song titles like "Wrist Deep in Depression", "I'm a Weapon Against Myself". and "Corpses in Living Masks". If these guys are actually mocking the depressive scene, then I might consider it pure genius. But I'm not so sure.

Verdict: Fail [4/10]
(I stand at the edge and weep)

http://www.myspace.com/iminacoffin

No comments: