Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Demonstration - Accidents With Intelligence (2008)

The Demonstration is a band featuring most of the members of deathcore/grinders Killwhitneydead, except for the singer. This is their second album, and they play the trendy and typical American blend of heavily Swedish-influenced melodic death and shitty Americore breakdowns. They remind me quite a lot of Soilwork, except with more metalcore thrown in, and not the good kind. Occasionally they remind me of Shadows Fall for the use of the straight up metal guitar solos.

That being said, the band has some talent as musicians; a handful of the guitar riffs would do any fan of just about every Swedish melodic death metal band proud. The large % of American metalcore fans who love that with a dash of moshpit tailoring thrown in will also really like this for a few spins (and even more so in a live setting). As for myself, I can't appreciate the shitty clean vocal radio chorus parts, the terrible breakdowns I've heard a gajillion times already, and the predictable metalcore growls.

Listen to "Car Rides". Your average variety of this style, laden with 'emotional' clean vocals and breakdowns for the 13 year olds. I think I've already wasted enough of our time with this. If I listen any further I'll likely cause an accident to my own intelligence, like an aneurysm or something. I'm not going to go as far as say this band sucks, because they don't. But they leave a lot to be desired. Check out my recent review of Canada's Shades of Dusk, who implement pretty much the same style, but with far less trendiness and a lot more talent.

Verdict: Fail [4/10]


http://www.myspace.com/thedemonstrationnc

No comments: