Thursday, October 15, 2009

A Cloud in Circle - Depression's Suicide [DEMO] (2009)

Perhaps the title and cover to this release are a bit too obvious, but if it's not readily apparent, Argentina's A Cloud in Circle perform depressive black metal with more than the lion's share of ambient and non-metal influence. This latest demo is quite fascinating for its monstrous sound, in particular the non-metal sequences which would make a perfect soundtrack to any laid back, pensive moment in which one debates their very existence and which path they shall assume: slogging forward through a dreary, mundane world or making a beeline for the gods-damned gallows.

"Ethereal Sense of Solitude" is an amazing ambient into, with ringing pianos and vocal choir synthesizer over an ominous landscape. "By Myself" opens with the bustling sounds of rains and what seem to be train tracks as the buzzing of the black guitars comes into focus. The vocals are extremely painful, suitable to please fans of Weakling, Burzum, Silencer or many other bands of a similar nature. "Dying's Vision" is a bleak ambient track with some background wailing, and "I Lost My Hope (Part I)" is a crashing wall of doomlike depressive black metal with amazing, piercing guitar tones. Pretty incredible track. "Wounds In My Arms" begins with a lengthy piano sequence, but more of the band's tormented black noise follows. The title track is another dark ambient instrumental, and the demo closes with the swelling "I Lost My Hope (Part II)", a graceful and expressive track which meshes black and new age influences.

Musically, I have no qualms, A Cloud in Circle offers the superb, adventurous tones that I relish. The vocals don't bother me much, though I'm still undecided on whether these types of bands would be better served with another style. Lyrically, the band seems sedate and pedestrian, with obvious titles to their subject strata. But nonetheless, this is an amazing demo, and if you've enjoyed any of the other black/ambient stuff I've given a favorable review in the past 5-6 months, you'll probably feel this too.

Verdict: Epic Win [9/10]

http://www.myspace.com/acloudincircle

No comments: